Instructor: Alaska Expedition 1a
Hannah grew up in a small town outside of Raleigh, NC, and now bounces back and forth between Bryson City, NC, and Steamboat Springs, CO. She just finished a stint as a ski instructor in Steamboat this past winter; previously, she was a trip leader at Mountain Alliance, a non-profit organization that provides after-school and weekend outings in outdoor adventure, community service, and cultural activities for teenagers. She’s also worked as the assistant manager for Rivergirl Fishing Company; a crew leader at Paddle Creek Kayaking company; and a yoga teacher. In 2019, she studied outdoor recreation at the Ara Institute at Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand. Hannah returns to Adventure Treks for her second season as an instructor.
- Education: Appalachian State University, bachelor’s degree in recreation management
- Medical and outdoor certifications: Wilderness first responder, PSIA alpine level 1
- Favorite outdoor memory: Last summer, during our second backpack of my Adventure Treks trip, we decided to wake up at 4 a.m. and hike to the summit of Black Balsam to watch the sun rise. It was so surreal hiking in the dark with the crickets, and then getting to watch the sun come up over the Blue Ridge Mountains—especially with so much stoke from our students!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: I completed a nine-day environmental expedition across the southern Alps of New Zealand! We trekked across rainforests, snowy peaks, and grassy plains!
- Countries visited: Belize, New Zealand, and Taiwan
- Favorite hobbies: My favorite ways to fill time are skiing, fly fishing, making creating art, drinking coffee, kayaking, learning about plants, traveling to new places, and meeting new faces!