Madison currently calls Texas home, though growing up in a military family meant she moved around a lot. In Texas, Madison works at the Outdoor School as an outdoor education instructor. Prior to that, she lived and worked in western North Carolina as an outdoor recreation supervisor. There, she planned and let a variety of adventures and summer camps in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. Madison has also worked as an English teacher through the Peace Corps in Ha’apai, Tonga. In college, she spent her summers as a counselor for Camp Merrie-Woode, while through the year she worked as an after-school teacher for elementary-aged kids. Additionally, Madison completed an interpretation internship with Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Madison joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor.
- Education: Western Carolina University, bachelor’s degree in parks and recreation management
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: There are so many! But most of my favorite memories are from my summers spent at Camp Merrie-Woode. I have always had a love for the outdoors, but sharing that love with like-minded people in a beautiful little escape from the real world is so special.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: I am proud of myself for summiting Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania! Definitely one of the hardest treks I’ve ever done but I’m so happy I pushed myself and didn’t give up.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: I love traveling! I’ve been to all 50 states, 33 national parks, and 16 countries. I have a couple of favorites: I love Colorado and Utah, and my favorite parks are Zion, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Death Valley. My favorite country is definitely Peru.
- Favorite hobbies: Working with children, chasing waterfalls and sunsets, camping, backpacking, traveling to new places, and binge-watching Friends.
- What are you most excited for this summer? I’m excited to learn how to be a better leader, guide, and role model for children, especially in an outdoor setting. I cannot wait to be there with these students and watching them accomplish their goals. I am also looking forward to the friendships I will make during this experience and seeing all of the challenges people will overcome and accomplish.