Roman grew up in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California but currently calls Flagstaff, AZ, home. He recently worked at Sanborn Western Camps in Colorado as the arts coordinator; there, he also led backpacking trips for campers. He then moved on to Snow Mountain River, an outdoor outfitting shop in Arizona. Roman has also worked at a ski resort in California.
- Education: Northern Arizona University, bachelor’s degree
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: My favorite outdoor memory would have to be my sunrise solo hike up Humphreys Peak and watching the sun first start hitting the Grand Canyon and Sedona.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Leading a four-day backpacking trip on the Colorado Trail where one of the students began the trip with lots of self-doubt, having never camped before. In the four days, with the support from all of us, he gained so much self-confidence and couldn’t wait to take his younger brother camping when he got home.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: My two favorite places I have traveled would be Gorges de l’Ardèche, and Gorges de Verdon, both in France. I was lucky enough to have a two-week internship at each location.
- Favorite hobbies: I am passionate about all things art and the outdoors. For the outdoors, rock climbing, backpacking, and snowboarding are my three favorite hobbies. Growing up near Tahoe I was able to dedicate lots of my time and effort to them. My other interests include ceramics, in which I received my degree, and playing piano, guitar, and bass.
- What are you most excited for this summer? One of my favorite parts of meeting new people is learning about their many interests and passions. I can’t wait to learn about both my peers and the students passions and share in their enjoyment of the outdoors.