Adventure Treks strives to be a resource for people in the outdoor education world, including current and alumni AT instructors. We’ll keep this page current with news, updates, events, and helpful information regarding professional development, courses, and certifications.
Important summer 2024 dates
- WFR courses in May (see below)
- Trip leader retreat: June 2 – 7, 2024
- Big orientation: June 9 – 15, 2024
- Small orientation: June 26 – 29, 2024
- End of summer: August 10 – 15, 2024
Your specific dates of employment will be provided in your employment agreement, available later this spring.
Instructor salaries are dependent on experience and skills. The starting salaries listed below refer to a full summer contract; shorter contracts will be adjusted accordingly.
- New instructors: Starting at $4,200
- Returning instructors: Starting at $4,600
- Trip leaders: Starting at $5,400
Wilderness first responder and recertification courses
Adventure Treks will host a full wilderness first responder course and a WFR recertification course at our basecamp in Washington state in May. Returning instructors who join this recert can take it at no cost. New instructors who take our full WFR course can take it at a deeply discounted price (about half the normal cost).
Former instructors (who are not working summer 2024) are also welcome to take either the full WFR or recert at a discounted price.
- Full WFR course: May 19 – 27, 2024
- WFR recert: May 29 – 30, 2024
To register and pay a deposit, please email Rachel!
For returning instructors who take their WFR recert elsewhere, email Rachel a copy of your invoice for the $250 reimbursement.
Staff and student referrals
Adventure Treks has formalized our referral system with our new ambassador program, and we’d love your help in growing our incredible staff and student community by inviting prospective students and staff to sign up for Adventure Treks!
- For every student you refer to Adventure Treks who attends a program in summer 2024, you’ll receive a $250 bonus, and they’ll receive a $250 discount on tuition. Click the link below to begin the student referral process.
- For every instructor you refer to Adventure Treks who works a full contract in summer 2024, you’ll receive a $150 bonus. Email Rachel if you have a prospective instructor to refer.
Please refer any and all students and/or instructors you think may be a great fit for us. We would appreciate referrals especially for 7th–9th grade female students and male instructors for summer 2024.
These bonuses apply to both current and former instructors.
Professional development scholarships
Returning instructors are eligible to apply for professional development scholarships (up to 50 percent of cost) for courses that are relevant to Adventure Treks’ trips and activities. If you are awarded funds, regardless of your preferred placement, we reserve the right to place you on a trip that needs the skill in which you have received professional development.
A few relevant courses include:
- PMBIA mountain bike instructor courses
- AMGA rock climbing instructor courses
- Wilderness lifeguarding courses
- Behavioral first aid courses
If you’re unsure whether a skills course would be considered for a professional development scholarship through Adventure Treks, please email Rachel!
Our families see the results of your hard work when their kids come home from a fun, epic, and challenging trip with so much personal growth and so many stories, and they want you to know that it means a lot to them, too. Click here to read parents’ testimonials from summer!
Instructor alumni contact form
We love to keep in touch with our instructor community, even if it’s been a while since you’ve worked with us. Click below to share your life updates with us!